Saturday, September 09, 2006

I hate setting off the smoke alarm.

I woke up this morning and laid in bed until I didn't feel hungover anymore. When I got up, I was ravenous, and all I wanted were pancakes. Although I'm relatively new to cooking, I know how to make pancakes. So easy! So I decide to make crepes. With lemon and powdered sugar and ohmygodi'mbackingermanyagain dreams.

But I didn't have any of that nonstick spray. And it didn't occur to me to use butter or margerine on the pan. So I used canola oil spray. I'm not sure if this had any effect on what happened next. Maybe not.

So I toss my first crepe in the pan, I'm scooting it around the pan, I'm singing with Regina Spektor. Then a black spot appears in the pan. It got bigger and bigger the more I poke at it with the spatula. That's when I realized it was the spatula. My black plastic spatula was melting into the canola oil spray and my goddamn crepe.

I ditch the spatula in the sink with the black crepe, pour some more batter, grab a new spatula, etc. But this crepe cooks fast. Way fast. So fast that it's barely on the pan before I smell burning and frantically try to flip it. About a minute after I pour the third crepe onto the pan, the smoke alarm goes of and I realize I'm standing in a cloud of smoke, as the flames from the burner writhe up around the pan.

I'm feeling more delicate now than I was when I woke up.

At least I found this in the fridge to eat instead:


No comments: