Thursday, April 26, 2007

I hate laziness.

Especially my own.

But I can say this: I am halfway through the last set of revisions of my thesis. It's due on May 4, by 5 p.m. Before then I need to edit the second half, write the abstract, give copies to my whole committee, make last minute adjustments, print it twice, gather signatures, and hand it in at the library.

This seems doable. And for the first time ever, I felt a twinge of pride this afternoon as I rewrote the introduction for the 11th time in the past six months. I may despise my topic and resent my department for stifling my two original thesis ideas, but that only makes the final product feel like more of an accomplishment. It takes genuine effort and several hundred dollars' worth of coffee (even instant is expensive if you drink enough of it) to write 70 pages on a topic you couldn't care less about.

No comments: