Sunday, October 01, 2006

I hated Brick.

When I was in high school I used to wish for movies to come out and portray people my age having adult situations and dealing with them the way adults do. I think this is because I hated watching teenage movies and would have rather seen an all-teen cast in L.A. Confidential.

I would have probably loved Brick then, but now it just makes me angry. It’s got so much style, great film noir-inspired dialogue, a terrific, jazzy score. But it takes place in high school.

There’s a reason why high school-aged actors don’t play high school-aged characters in films. Young actors are rarely mature enough to grasp the emotional range. The same can be said for any high school student, which is why dramatic movies featuring seventeen-year-old detectives should not be made. Or maybe I just shouldn’t watch them, because seeing serious lines delivered by teenagers makes me want to die.

Also, Lukas Haas's face kinda makes me want to throw up.

No comments: